- 1 The Emerging Leaders Program
- 2 Final Projects 2010
- 3 Documents and Resources for 2010 Class
- 4 Additional Resources
- 5 Information and Resources from Previous Classes
The Emerging Leaders Program
What Is the Emerging Leaders Program?
Emerging Leaders began in 2007 as one of ALA Immediate Past President Leslie Burger’s six initiatives. The Emerging Leaders program enables newer librarians from across the country to participate in problem-solving work groups; network with peers; gain an inside look into ALA structure, and have an opportunity to serve the profession in a leadership capacity. It puts them on the fast track to ALA and professional leadership.
Connie Paul, Executive Director, Central Jersey Regional Library Cooperative, Maureen Sullivan, organizational consultant (Annapolis, Maryland), and Peter Bromberg, Assistant Director, South Jersey Regional Library Cooperative, are spearheading the project.
For more information, contact Beatrice Calvin, Program Officer, ALA Office for Human Resource Development and Recruitment.
How Are Emerging Leaders Chosen?
The selection committee seek diversity based on geography, gender, ethnicity and type of library. They pay particular attention to, and value candidates' statements as well as those of their references.
Final Projects 2010
Final projects from class of 2010 are posted at: http://connect.ala.org/el10projects
Documents and Resources for 2010 Class
You will be receiving notification regarding project selection in mid-November. Instructions will be posted to the listserv and be posted to our shared space in ALA Connect
Official Project communications will be sent to you on the Emerging Leaders 2010 listserv (to which you will be automatically added.) Additionally, we will be using ALA Connect to share documents, and discuss the project.
- ALA Acronyms Explained--
- ALA Governance Structure (17KB PDF)
- Volunteering for Committees (including division and roundtable committees)
- Complete list of conference scholarships available from ALA 
Leadership and Librarianship
- Leadership in the National Arena by Maureen Sullivan (1.1MB PDF)--
- Rachel Singer Gordon's The NextGen Librarian's Survival Guide
ALA Connect EL Interest Group
A group for all Emerging Leaders that serves as a central clearinghouse for communication among all of the participants, past and present. Want to see who else has been an EL? Log in and view the roster! Want to ask for advice or help with something? Start a discussion or post your question there.
A Facebook page created by 2009 Team V to publicize our professional accomplishments, to share our photos, and to plan EL gatherings at upcoming conferences, among other things. Become a fan!
Tools for Projects
- ALA Connect provides many tools that what will facilitate your ability to work virtually on your team projects. Each team will have a space set up for them in ALA Connect. In addition, there is already a private space set up for this year's class.
- Project Management Software - If you are looking for software to pull together timelines, tasks, and group chat features, a great resource is a free account from BaseCamp.
- Keep up-to-date with general news and announcements about the program on the Emerging Leaders Blog. You can also subscribe to the Blog's RSS feed.
- For more information, email email@example.com .
Information and Resources from Previous Classes
Information and Resources from previous Emerging Leaders classes are available on the old Emerging Leader Wiki